Makhana kheer is a delicious Indian dessert made with fox nuts (makhana), milk, sugar, and flavored with cardamom powder, saffron strands, and chopped nuts. It is a healthy and easy-to-make dessert that is perfect for festivals, special occasions, or when you are craving something sweet. In this article, we will discuss how to make makhana kheer at home.
- 1 cup makhana (fox nuts)
- 4 cups full-fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar (or as per taste)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- A few strands of saffron
- 2 tbsp chopped almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Dry roast the makhana in a pan over low heat until it turns light brown. This should take around 8-10 minutes. Keep stirring the makhana to ensure that it roasts evenly. Once done, transfer the roasted makhana to a plate and let it cool down.
- Once the makhana is cool, grind it into a coarse powder using a food processor or a grinder.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp of ghee over medium heat. Once the ghee is hot, add the ground makhana and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of milk to the pan and mix well.
- Add a few strands of saffron and cardamom powder to the pan and mix well.
- Cook the mixture on low heat, stirring occasionally, until the milk reduces and thickens. This should take around 25-30 minutes.
- Once the milk thickens, add sugar and mix well. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Turn off the heat and let the kheer cool down for 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish the kheer with chopped almonds and pistachios.
Your makhana kheer is now ready to serve. Serve it hot or chilled, depending on your preference. You can also add other dry fruits like raisins, cashews, or walnuts to the kheer for added texture and flavor.
Makhana kheer is a delicious and healthy dessert that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make and requires only a few ingredients. So, go ahead and try this recipe at home and enjoy the deliciousness of makhana kheer!